Alexis Lane is a Partner and Head of Business Services, which incorporates our Corporate & Commercial, Employment and Litigation and teams.
Alexis provides an approachable and pragmatic style when supporting her clients, always prioritising the identification of her clients’ best interests and then tailoring her legal advice accordingly. Skilled in turning these complex areas of law into plain English, Alexis clearly explains the legal options available so that clients can quickly and clearly understand the issues, opportunities, risks and potential outcomes of any legal action.
Employment: Alexis has been advising both employees and employers on a wide variety of employment law matters for over 12 years. Her experience includes:
- Employment contract drafting and variation
- Grievances and Disciplinaries
- Unfair and Constructive Dismissal
- Settlement Agreements
- Post-termination Restrictions
- Discrimination (including in relation to race, sex, age and disability)
- Employment tribunal proceedings
Alexis has expertise in advising and supporting employees who often feel vulnerable if their job security is under threat and need to know their rights. She also advises employers who wish to act in a way that both meets their business needs and meets legal expectations. Alexis works with her clients to give them practical advice on the options available to manage their workforce commercially whilst implementing best legal practice. Alexis is a member of the Employment Lawyers Association (ELA).
Corporate & Commercial: Alexis advises starts-up, SMEs and multi-nationals on a broad range of corporate and commercial law. Always aware of the commercial imperative driving the need for legal advice, Alexis is experienced in complex negotiations and drafting bespoke commercial contracts and agreements that help her clients achieve their business aims. Alexis has advised clients from most sectors but she has particular specialisms in technology, manufacturing and distribution.
Her Corporate & Commercial experience includes:
- Start-ups and fundraising
- Company & Partnership structure
- Shareholder and Partnership Agreements
- Company law & director compliance
- Operating and Commercial Contracts
- Terms and Conditions of business
- Agency, distribution & supply agreements
- Technology & IT contracts
- Franchising & outsourcing documentation
- Advising a software company on various matters, including senior executive exits, disciplinary actions and preventing litigation concerning pregnancy and sex discrimination claims.
- Representing a client in an Employment Tribunal concerning claims of unfair dismissal, breach of contract and holiday pay.
- Drafting and advising a franchisor on an international franchise agreement.
- Providing ongoing commercial advice to a company with a turnover of over £90million, including reviewing and advising on general T&Cs of sale and drafting a distribution agreement.
- Acting for a UK-based distributor of large-scale construction equipment on an international dealership agreement for distribution rights in China.
Alexis studied at the College of Law London, University College London. Prior to becoming a lawyer, Alexis spent a brief period on the stage and her performance skills have proved most valuable in her legal practice as she is very articulate when presenting legal arguments and is comfortable in front of an audience when speaking at business events.